Fluoride is one of the most effective minerals in protecting teeth from decay and strengthening enamel. The substance is naturally found in small amounts in certain foods and water. Our dental health experts provide supplemental fluoride applications for individuals who are at a higher risk of tooth decay.
Fluoride benefits teeth in two ways:
- Fluoride attaches to the enamel of teeth that are still developing in order to enhance their strength and resistance.
- In fully-developed teeth, fluoride works to restore and remineralize the enamel, while also reversing tooth decay in its early stages.
The oral health experts at Lithia Springs Cosmetic & Family Dentistry offer topical fluoride application treatments in a simple procedure that can be conducted in a single visit. These fluoride treatments work by applying the substance in the form of gel, foam or varnish using trays that are designed to be worn over the teeth. After the quick and easy procedure, the patient is advised to refrain from eating or drinking for at least an hour afterward so that their teeth can fully absorb the fluoride.
Some reasons for professional fluoride treatments include:
- Exposed or sensitive root surfaces
- Grooves and fissures on the chewing surfaces of the molars
- Poor oral hygiene practices
- Lack of exposure to fluoride
- Excessive intake of sugar
- Prior history of tooth decay
- Poor saliva flow
By conducting topical fluoride application treatments, we are able to help prevent tooth decay and cavities. It is also important to remember to brush and floss and to receive regularly-scheduled professional dental cleanings. Maintaining a healthy diet and limiting sugar intake is also recommended.
To learn more about how fluoride can improve the health of your teeth, please schedule a consultation with one of our oral health experts. You can call our office at (770) 824-8916 to arrange an appointment.